Wednesday 28 August 2013

Peace even in troubled times?

Isaiah 26:3

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Do you read this verse and think, how can I have peace when I've got children to taxi all over the place, I've got a pile of work to do and the housework hasn't been done for weeks because of family commitments? I'm sure we've all been there when life is busy, stressful and just generally tough.

BUT the peace that God gives is not like the peace that you might get from anywhere else, other sources are temporary, God's peace lasts even when you are in a desperate situation.

When I was helping pack up from a day at the beach with my parents aged about six or so I was asked to take some rubbish to the bin that was in a straight line from where we had been sat. I got to the bin and dumped the rubbish but my sense of direction is non-existant. We had a brightly coloured children's tent we used to get changed in but Mum and Dad had put it down, unbeknown to me, scanning down the beach for this tent I wandered far from my parents, until the sea overlapped the sand up to the promenade and I knew I had gone too far. I was completely lost without the safety of my parents, yet I felt at peace because I knew that God was bigger

So how do we get this peace? By trusting God and by spending time with Him. (For tips on how to do this see my previous blog post "Looking to God."

It seems counter-intuitive that taking time out of the day and thus shortening it should help us deal with the mountain of jobs we have to do but it does work. You will find that family relationships improve when you are not stressed and that God will help you do what you need to do if it is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment